Which ovni model ?

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Which ovni model ?

Messagepar MWeb » 03 Sep 2013, 17:45

Hello,
I am looking for an ovni that is as small as possible but meets the following requirements:
Must have:
Possibly difficulties
- completly (!) isulated
- internal shower with warm water
- rear carrier for solar, wind energy & dingi

More or less standard (or?)
- heating
- boiler for warm water
- possible to stand inside (>1,9m headroom) (every model or?)
- pantry with stove, oven, refrigerator/freezer, ...
- wc
- table
- space to store

Nice would be:
- fuel tank with capacity greater than 150 Liter
- water tank with capacity greater than 200 Liter

Generally suited for comfortable long distance cruising abroad for very small crew (one or two people) in rough cold conditions.

I am not asking for concrete offers. I only would like to know which model of the ovni series would fullfill the requirements best. I am confused at the moment by the range of model that were built up from the 70s. Do not know where to start best.

I know that an ovni 395 would do but I would like to look for a smaller less expensive one. Ovni 395 seems to me very oversized. An Ovni 32 for example would reach concerning the space.

Thank you in advance.
MWeb
O nouveau
O nouveau

Re: Which ovni model ?

Note : vous voyez cette publicité car vous n'êtes pas connecté au forum
Annonces

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Re: Which ovni model?

Messagepar cco » 05 Sep 2013, 13:17

Why not Ovni 365? it looks like it reachs all your requirements (but the price...).
cco
O passionné
O passionné

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar MWeb » 05 Sep 2013, 20:20

The Ovni 365 is a great ship. But does it have an internal shower? I do not know. But of course with an internal shower it would be perfect I can imagine. However you already mentioned the problem: the price.
MWeb
O nouveau
O nouveau

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar cco » 06 Sep 2013, 12:38

Yes, she have an internal shower. And also an external (as an option). Regarding the price, not much expensive when you look at the overall boat. We have now 6000 milles in 2 summer seasons and no, really no issues.
cco
O passionné
O passionné

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar MWeb » 06 Sep 2013, 18:00

If I would found an ovni 365 like yours in a few years with proven solutions to the problems cause of doing longer voyages to cold places (a few are mentioned on your website) and I could find an agreement with the owner I would imidiatley buy it. No doubt.

Towards the Price: If you buy a new ovni the price is definitly okay when you compare to other shipyards. But if you look at the used boat market the prices that owners often want to have are fare above average of comparable boats (out of France). I know it is difficult what I understand under "comparable". But for example a Reinke build by a shipyard is definitly much cheaper to get than an really old ovni that is even smaller.
Of course the quality of Alubat is great, but e.g. Reinke ships are really very well proven ships for long distance cruising. I know that you can challenge that a Reinke and an Ovni is "comparable". I do not want to Insult anyone or start a discussion about that, it is just an observation that I have made.

Thanks and nice website.
MWeb
O nouveau
O nouveau

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar Lei Lani » 15 Sep 2013, 22:06

MWeb a écrit:But for example a Reinke build by a shipyard is definitly much cheaper to get than an really old ovni that is even smaller.

Typically a large price difference between steel and aluminium boats
Bon vent à toutes et à tous !
Lei Lani
O passionné
O passionné

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Re: Which ovni model ?

Messagepar MWeb » 16 Sep 2013, 19:24

Lei Lani a écrit:Typically a large price difference between steel and aluminium boats

Of course, but (today) Reinke ships are build of aluminium. Otherwise I would not claim something about "comparable".
MWeb
O nouveau
O nouveau

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar Lei Lani » 17 Sep 2013, 12:58

Hello,
Yes i have seen this, but all the used and older ones i have seen on internet are made of steel.
It seems to me (i can be wrong though, but i havent found the address of a professional shipyard) Reinke boats are mostly built by self builders. Still possible, but more difficult in aluminium than in steel for a non professional to make a decent hull. The boats i have seen seem quite seaworthy by design but quality of construction is likely to be uneven, as often the case with private/self building. Looking for a good opportunity would require a fair amount of time and a good degree of expertise to select the right used boat.
Bon vent à toutes et à tous !
Lei Lani
O passionné
O passionné

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar MWeb » 17 Sep 2013, 18:00

As I wrote, I do not want to start a discussion. With you general comments towards private/self building you are totally right.
Towards Reinke (hope to close discussion about that):
  • Professional shipyards, that build Reinke Designs: Benjamins Werft (name of yacht building in Germany), Rehberger Yacht, Matzerath (last two one's are perhaps not so famous, but professional builders) [but you are right that many ships are selfbuilded]
  • I do not like this, but to close discussion, here a "proof": http://www.boat24.com/de/Segelboote/Ben ... il/141762/
  • Professional Builder: Benjamins
  • Year: 1994 (about 20 years old)
  • Length: 11,5m
  • Price: 69.500€
  • Condition: good

Now give me a "comparable" ovni 345 ? Price (Asking): about 140.000€ (that's twice and I do not think that an ovni 345 have such an equipment (fuel/water tank, interior, ...)
MWeb
O nouveau
O nouveau

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar cco » 18 Sep 2013, 08:54

Hopefuly, an Ovni 345 will not have such interior :mrgreen:
cco
O passionné
O passionné

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar MWeb » 19 Sep 2013, 20:06

cco a écrit:Hopefuly, an Ovni 345 will not have such interior :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great comment.

Sorry, I was only focused on the equipment.
MWeb
O nouveau
O nouveau

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar cybelle » 30 Oct 2013, 22:12

Hello - I think you need to approach this question differently...and start with the budget..otherwise the conversation will go round in circles. Without wishing to offend you, am I right in thinking you are not already an experienced cruiser? (it is unusual to put the question the way you have). For instance you simply do not have space in a 32 for your list, especially the 'freezer' and tankage (32 has <75 lts fuel as standard). Already your small cockpit locker will be compromised by the heater and boiler, and you need that storage for the dinghy (which in davits causes lots of windage so sometimes needs storing in the locker) and other essentials. The 32 does not have a large enough heads for a shower, but if you will be sailing colder climates a shower is less important (wet wipes or a sponge are a real alternative to an inside shower on a small boat for experienced sailors, otherwise at this size it's not an ocean-going Ovni but a plastic boat designed as a maison secondaire (holiday home) like the Beneteaus that you need). But that's another topic. Moreover if cruising remote areas you won't want to be wasting fresh water on showers! 200 litres is not much - especially if you have a wasteful pressurised system. Finally, 32 does not have a portique (radar arch) as standard although a stainless gantry is often added. I know of one 32 with an Alubat arch retro-fitted but it was a very complicated and expensive operation to cut down the factory arch designed for a 345.

Older boats do not have factory-fitted insulation (what do you mean by 'completely' ? Insulation is really aimed at reducing condensation not improving temperature on a wood-lined boat like the Ovni (insulation is yet another topic). They do though have treadmaster-style non-slip which is a good insulator against condensation. So you need at least a 345 or much older 35/36. 345s are available for less than you quote (reflected in condition, mainly paint). But they are not as good sailers as the Briand designs. If you can afford a 365 (modern Lombard design equal in volume to 385) go for it. if not you still need bigger than 32/33 (why do you want so small?) so go for an older 36 or 345. Ovni vs. ANOther (eg Reinke) prices I can explain in another reply.
OVNI 385 No.84 (2004) - Sud Bretagne
ex OVNI 30 (1989)
cybelle
O impliqué
O impliqué

• Facebook
  • Twitter

Messagepar Hansarla » 13 Mai 2014, 10:45

We think the 345 is a good boat all round for cruising, not too small but big enough to be able to comfortably live aboard for 2 people. Other Ovni owners with larger boats have often said to us that the 345 is an ideal size for cruising, stopping in marinas or anchoring.

We are going to be selling her though, moving onwards! She is a very special boat.

I hope to be able to post something in the forum with her details.

Roger
Ovni 345 Hansarla, Cornwall, England
Hansarla
O nouveau
O nouveau

Re: Re: Which ovni model ?

Annonces

Revenir vers Boat related questions